Saturday, October 2, 2010

selfless ???

Its a well known saying that True love is selfless. Now i wonder how the love can be selfless. No matters what, u will like to see a smile on the face of your love even if its at the cost of your own suffering. But isn't that smile is something from which u derive satisfaction for yourself. So is it really selfless love? Is altruism a reality or just a delusion? And isn't I  the prime concern of every individual even if unknowingly and indirectly or circuitously ..
The people who can accept it to everybody's face that they are selfish, are they really different in their measure of selfishness than those who don't even realize that they are selfish.Some people derive satisfaction in doing things for themselves only. And there are some others who would do anything for the people and then they would think about themselves. But isn't it their own satisfaction, their own conscience that really is driving them..
and both ways isn't I the priority? Am i sounding confused? isn't that the selflessness and selfishness are like the two roads mingled into each other? leave your opinions plz..........

8 comments:

  1. hi, hmmm, that was very thoughtful....dunno why the qtns came to ur mind in the first place

    but more important is that you identify who is what, who talks abt his/he own selfishness or who talks and walks differently or who follows his/her own words. rest's nothing in our hand.

    But there's a theory that u need to be full to give others....but I am not sure if the opposite is true or not. But I follow this quote. If I am rich I can help the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmn...well....intention is what lies beneath...though 'I' is satisfied both ways...but in one case u r just satisfying urself and in other case u r both helping the other person...as well as getting self-satisfaction....accord 2 me the diff b/w selfishness and altruism is same as is the diff b/w a terrorist and a soldier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. till date I don't know what selflessness means.. I probably will not be able to comment about it because I seek happiness from everything that I do.. even if that act is like giving alms, I do it because I get a sense of satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeketh not Itself to please,
    Nor for itself hath any care;
    But for another gives its ease,
    And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

    So sang a little Clod of Clay,
    Trodden with the cattle's feet:
    But a pebble of the brook,
    Warbled out these metres meet.

    Love seeketh only Self to please,
    To bind another to Its delight:
    Joys in another's loss of ease,
    And builds a Hell in Heaven's despite.

    -- William Blake

    For the umpteenth time I'd be posting it on blogsphere, but I can't help it. These are the first lines that come to my mind.

    And it is so true that we seem to derive pleasure in the laugh of our beloved and will do everything tooth and nail to achieve it.

    Yeah am a selfish bastard, but at least am not alone

    Nice Post Megha

    ReplyDelete
  5. @saumya : hmmmmm i agree...but still u know... the word selfless, how can it fit here if self satisfaction is anyways involved here. and about a terrorist he would harm others but i am talking about a person who cant think of harming others, never...
    @Beyond few words : same is the case with me...i don't completely understand the meaning of selflessness or may be i am uselessly complicating it..
    @megha : yeah i also believe that its good to help others always if u can and if u cant then atleast be sure of not doing anything wrong to anyone...but still understanding it completely sometimes jst confuses me...
    @Blasphemous Aesthete : y would u call urself a selfish bastard? and were u calling me the same? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love is a state of perpetual anesthesia where a person of the opposite sex seems lke a god or goddess. so because you want him or her for yourself. in my dictionary thats not really selfless :)
    ofcourse the love of a parent is t an extent yes but not to that big extent.

    good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why would I be calling you any such thing.

    I am only calling myself a selfish bastard, because I am one.

    I could pray and trick with a double tongue,
    but the only fool here's me

    ReplyDelete
  8. zero selfishness = zero selflessness
    100% selfishness = 100% selflessness
    selfless = selfish
    100% selfless = 100% selfish
    :)

    ReplyDelete